Between 1928 and 1934
Perhaps this extract from ‘Who is Who’ will give the readers at least some idea of what Arturo M. Tolentino accomplished between 1928 to 1934.
- While Freshman on the College of Liberal Arts Debate Team, in a debate with Cebu Junior College, won Kalaw Gold Medal for excellence in debating.
- Won the monthly prize for June 1928 in the Free Press Story contest.
- Elected President of the Liberal Arts Sophomore Organization 1929/1930 and in the same year was Speaker of the Junior house of Representative, Liberal Arts U.P. as well as President of the manila High School Alumni Association.
- Was delegate to the first Independence Congress February 1930 and later member of the Bagong Katipunan.
- Prize winner in Nation-wide anti-leprosy Essay contest.
- Won first prize in National Prohibition Oratorical Contest December 1930, receiving Peterson Silver Loving cup, to be held until won successfully a third time.
- First prize National Hero’s Day drama writing contest 1930.
- First Prize Biographical essay writing contest November 1930.
- Tied with Wenceslao Vinzons for first place in Philippine Collegian editorial writing examinations in 1931but withdrew from the election leaving ground clear for Vinzons.
- Was City Editor of the Philippine Collegian second semester 1931/32
- First place again for the Editorial writing examination, June 1932, with Winceslao Vinzon second and Ambrosio Padilla third.
- Thought to be most logical man for editorship of the Philippine Collegian, but politics played tricks on him.
- Was member of the U.P. debate team which faced the Oregon debate team October 1931.
- First Prize Inter-University oratorical contest between Santo Thomas University and U.P., November 1929/31.
- First prize in contest on Compilation on the National Hero, November 1930
- Winner of Callahan prize awarded to first honor student of College of Law, sophomore class 1932.
- President U.P. Student Council for Summer 1932.
- College of Law representative to board of Management, Philippine Collegian, 1932/33.
- First Prize National Hero’s Day Speech contest, 1932.
- Second prize National Hero’s Day Short Story Contest, 1932.
- First Prize National Gambling Oratorical Contest, 1932
- Given the Perterson Silver Loving cup to be owned permanently.
- Member Junior Philippine Senate U.P. since June 1931 to January 1933.
- Leading his class – in the College of Law for four year in U.P.
As a writer, major activity is short story writing. Has been requested by the Bureau of Education to have a short story included in a High School text to be used beginning June 1934. Frequently writes in columns of PUBLIC PULSE – our reader’s view, writes articles from human interest feature to physical culture instruction.